Goals: on realising the motivational value of parkrun

Following on from my post about disillusionment with running, it's struck me that parkrunning has, historically, proven to be a greater motivator for me than orienteering. And, as such, perhaps my switch to focusing on orienteering for 2024 was a mis-step. Sure, the degree to which I obsessed about attending as many parkruns as possible last year was probably quite unhealthy. But at the same time, the weekly races (against the clock) were truly motivational and provided a goal in themselves.

Photo shamelessly stolen from the Australian parkrun site.

Even if hitting 30 or more parkruns in a year is no longer a goal, there are still targets I feel I can set myself. I'm not that interested in getting an overall PB any more because that run at Blyth was genuinely no fun, but what can I go for?

Goal 1: everywhere* under 27 minutes. 
After amazing myself by getting under 27 minutes at Jesmond Dene, it struck me that if I can do it there, I might be able to do it anywhere. That said, my recent parkrun at Fountains Abbey, which was a 27:01, is something I can't readily remedy, as it's so far away. But that aside, could I get the rest of my 27+ minute course PBs under that threshold? Maybe... just maybe. Here they are: 
Both Windy Nook and (especially) Chopwell Wood will be hard to get under 27 minutes, but I like a challenge. That said, for logistical reasons alone, I'm happy to omit Fountains Abbey from the "must get under 27 minutes" challenge, hence the asterisk on "everywhere" above. 🙂

Goal 2: tick off 2 or 3 more local events. 
I still haven't done Alnwick Pastures or Blackhill in Consett. And now there's a new event at Fulwell Quarry in Sunderland that's within reach. I do need to be mindful of spreading out these trips to relatively far-flung courses, however. Despite a renewed enthusiasm for parkrun, I still don't want it to regularly get in the way of spending time with the family, and I especially don't want to steal the car for a long period on the weekends.

I could try to dream up more parkrun-related challenges for the rest of the year, but let's leave it there for now. Perhaps someday soon I'll add these to my official list of goals for 2024, especially seeing as I had to ditch the Great North Run goal. But that can wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parkrun #24: Windy Nook

Midweek: Hawksworth, LS5

The 2023 Great North 10K