First-time parkrun locations for 2023

So, in my 2022 retrospective, I set a modest goal for 2023 of attending 5 new locations for parkrun. That's new for me, not new to the world btw. But where would those be locations be?

As it stands, my NENDY (nearest event not done yet) is Windy Nook in... Jarrow? Hebburn? Somewhere like that. It's reputed to be a bit of a killer, with plenty of hills, but that's not why I've avoided it so far. The problem was the surface; it looked uneven. With my new trainers, however, I reckon that's much less of a concern. But the amount of mud there'll be at the moment is enough to make me wait for better weather.

Photograph of Windy Nook by C Baldwin - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0 [link]

After that, we're looking at a good 30+ minute drive to get any other new parkrun. Which is kinda why I've decided to aim for only 5 new events in the year — I'm limiting what the rest of the family can do on a Saturday if I've got the car for too long.

So anyway, the next nearest events are Riverside (Chester-le-Street), Silksworth (Sunderland), Chopwell Wood, Blackhill (Consett), Druridge Bay, and Tyne Green (Hexham). Most of those will be muddy this time of year too, so I'll hold off for now, but I do fancy Druridge Bay and Chopwell Wood at some point. Blackhill too, so I can drop in on my brother.

Further afield, I'd like to do both Sedgefield and The Pastures (in Alnwick). And then, of course, there's Bramhall near Stockport, which I could do while visiting some friends who also parkrun. Even further afield, we're tentatively planning a holiday in Wales at some point too, so Pont y Bala, Conwy, or Penrhyn are all possibilities.

Penrhyn Castle, North Wales | © National Trust Images/John Millar

In short, I'm not short of options; it's merely the practicalities that could get in the way. I just need to keep in mind that I should average one new venue every couple of months. And probably aim to concentrate them in summer, for the sake of my trainers. (Yes, I know, I'm so precious about them, but then they cost way more than I've ever spent on footwear.)

As for my top 5? Maybe these:
  • Windy Nook
  • Bramhall
  • Chopwell Wood
  • Druridge Bay
  • Penrhyn 🤞
Guess if I'm sticking to my one-every-couple-of-months thing, I'd better pull my finger out and get a local one bagged soon, at least. 🙂

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midweek: Weetslade Colliery fantasy parkrun

Parkrun #25: Chopwell Wood

5 months in with my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 shoes