Parkrun #57: Gateshead, run 4

Another Saturday, another attempt to tick off one of the 27-minute-plus venues on my parkrun list. I'd had 3 previous goes at the Gateshead run and it feels slightly surprising that all 3 of them had been over 27 minutes. It doesn't feel like it should be that hard a parkrun... until you're doing it. And then the run up the slope from the lake kills you on all 3 of the laps you do it. Well, make that all 4 laps, as you do the climb up from the lake on the opposite-direction first of four laps too. Yeah, it's an unusual lap setup here.

Saltwell Towers in the rain; pity the parkrun course doesn't go around this place

On my previous visits, my times had been:

So, clear if somewhat slow improvement. And today? 26:21. 🥳

It probably helped that, in hindsight, I started a little closer to the front than my times merited, though it wasn't like I was swamped. I did overtake a good number of people too. The other thing that helped was that I knew I was going for the time and I pushed myself. Looking at my kilometre splits, it's fair to say I probably pushed too much at the start, as there was a definite getting-slower trend as the 5km wore on  (with the exception of the 2nd kilometre, which was all downhill or flat).

Knowing how hard I was pushing to achieve this time of 26:21 just puts me in awe of the fact I managed a 24:27 once. I could look at that and think "Crumbs, I've really lost my form" but actually I prefer to think "Wow, I did a good time, go me!". Maybe one day, on a flatter course than Gateshead, I'll be able to come a bit closer to that kind of time again.

For now though, today comprehensively ticks off another of the 27-minute-plus runs on my list. So what's left?

  •  Gateshead: 26:21 (was 27:01)
  • ⬜ Chopwell Wood: 27:21
  • ⬜ Silksworth: 27:27
  • ⬜ Druridge Bay: 27:44
  • ✅ Windy Nook: 26:58 (was 27:48)
They're all a decent drive, so not sure how soon I'll be able to tackle them. Maybe next time I go for one of my goals, I'll hit up a new venue instead. Fulwell Quarry, maybe? I just hope I don't get a 27-minute-plus time! 😂

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parkrun #24: Windy Nook

Midweek: Hawksworth, LS5

The 2023 Great North 10K