Training: a necessary 5K

Another week where I've made it out for only one proper run instead of three (the walked parkrun doesn't count), but at least I'm still doing it. We'll overlook the fact I almost forgot to go for a run while sitting at my desk. 👀

As I did a few stretches in the car park before the start, I contemplated where I might run and came to the conclusion that at least the first kilometre in any direction from the office was going to feel grim. I hate routine in my runs. I even began to wonder whether this would be the thing that ultimately killed running for me. Would I give it up out of nothing but boredom?

Anyway, I figured I'd just leave the building and decide my route at every corner or junction at which I arrived. 100% spontaneity in the midst of crushing familiarity. In the end, that took me along New Bridge Street and then through Shield field and up past Jesmond Metro. By that time, I'd decided most of the rest of the route based on how long I wanted to be out of the office; by the time I got to Willi's, all I had time for was a direct line back to the office.

Shieldfield, courtesy of Colin on Flickr

I never really heard what pace I was doing over the traffic noise, but pace wasn't the key today; it was more about simply being active. And yeah, it was a pretty flat route, but I don't feel up to a hilly one at the moment. I just want to enjoy the runs, not push myself to the max. In the end, looking back at Google Fit, it seems I averaged about 5:30/km; that's if I ignore the weirdly anomalous 4:53/km final kilometre, which was probably down to the GPS struggling. I'm happy with 5:30/km right now. I'm less happy when I work out that that means a 27:30 5K pace, but for some reason I feel better about it as a per-km pace. 🤷

Next run should be my 50th parkrun this Saturday. I've always thought of like to go back to Chopwell Wood for my 50th, just as I did for my 25th, but I'm not sure I can face the disappointment as I struggle with the hills. Instead, I'm looking back through my parkrun history for venues I've attended only once. South Shields falls into that category. That's by far the most attractive once-only venue on my list, but the other options include Ashington (nice to be in woodland), Windy Nook (good finish position?), Druridge Bay (chance for venue PB and very outdoors), and Denton Dene (chance to meet a former colleague). Or maybe I could break my duck at Durham. Priority #1 though is just to get out and do one. 🤞

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midweek: Weetslade Colliery fantasy parkrun

Parkrun #25: Chopwell Wood

5 months in with my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 shoes