Midweek: Friar's Goose Pumping Station

Well, that was probably the wettest run I've done to date. Properly soaked. 😁

The route today was another last minute decision. It struck me I'd not headed downstream on the Gateshead side of the river for a long time, and probably not since I'd started increasing the length of my runs. That meant that the bit of greenery I'd previously only just been able to reach on a 5K was now well within reach — assuming I was happy to do a longer run, that is. And with no meetings between 12:30 and 2:00, I was.

The intent was really just to go as far as getting level with Gateshead Stadium, maybe climbing the hill up to it if I felt good, or just doubling back along the river if not. As I set off in torrential rain, the weather felt like it might be the deciding factor.

That said, while I got soaked to the skin almost instantly, it wasn't a problem once I'd warmed up a bit. In fact, it was just warm enough to enjoy the very wet conditions, with the water stopping me overheating. Ultimately, it made for a really enjoyable run, even when a passing car or two added to the drenching.

At what I thought was the furthest point, I came across a bizarrely isolated and unloved looking little stone building; almost castle-like. Hence the snap below (which ruined my pace measurements, of course).

Turns out this is an old pumping station, engineered by Robert Stephenson for pumping floodwater out of the local mines. For a piece of industrial heritage like this, it's looking decidedly abandoned, which is a shame. Nature's already reclaiming it, as you can see.

Anyway, from here, I intended to turn back to work. However, with a classic bit of Mal's Famous Navigational Sense, I ended up turning further away from work, as I'd lost track of changing bearings. Luckily, I still came across the Felling Bypass and corrected my mistake, eventually passing Gateshead Stadium on the way back.

By the time I got back to the office, I'd run for about 44 minutes, including a minute of faffing, stood still, while I put the phone back in my arm strap. Distance was a smidge under 8K, which delights me, as it means I can mark the run up in a different colour (indicating 7.5K+ runs) on my running calendar. 😁

Not sure when I'm going to fit another run in before the weekend. Thursday and Friday are work-from-home days, so it might have to be tomorrow, though the trainers are still squelching with water. Regardless, till next time... 👋

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midweek: Weetslade Colliery fantasy parkrun

Parkrun #25: Chopwell Wood

5 months in with my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 shoes