Midweek: the Byker Link (disused railway line)

Obligatory introspective opening lament: another midweek blog post with no intervening parkrun post: bummer! 😞 One day I'll make a chart or calendar of excuses... I mean reasons for not having done parkrun, but for now, back to this run.

Today's lunchtime run from the office was another attempt to avoid the crowds and better explore somewhere that until recently I didn't even know existed: the Byker Link. As that linked article says, it's a (dirty) green corridor close to the Ouseburn area running from Byker down to St Peter's Basin (and probably far beyond) that used to be an active railway line until the 70s. I first stumbled upon it when exploring the far side of Ouseburn on a run (which I don't seem to have blogged about, so it must be a while back) and I've been meaning to take another look ever since.


Byker Link, definitely not today and definitely not taken by me

No time for photos today though, as I was trying to concentrate on just getting back into running. This was my first outdoor run in ELEVEN DAYS. and I'm conscious I'll be losing form. All I needed to do today was get back into it with 5+ km run. While I didn't calculate the distance before I set off, I guessed it about right and hit 5km as I passed the law courts on the quayside on the home stretch.

While I wasn't really focused on my pace, I hoped I'd stay within about 5:30/km. I've still not checked whether I did, in fact; one moment...

INSERT HOLD MUSIC HERE

Okay, it seems I did 5:23/km for the first 5km, so that's a win. Secretly, I might've hoped for better, but it'll do. I certainly wasn't pushing as hard as I did going to Dunston Staithes and back, so 5:23 seems fair.

So yeah, it was a fairly comfortable but not too slow 5K. Goals achieved, I'll try to repeat that pace, or maybe a bit faster (unless I aim for further), this coming Thursday before finally heading to my 25th parkrun on Saturday (touch wood!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midweek: Weetslade Colliery fantasy parkrun

Parkrun #25: Chopwell Wood

5 months in with my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 shoes