Midweek run: testing the hip

Yes, this is my first post and first run since last week's 6.45km midweek effort. Yes, that means I didn't make it to parkrun on Saturday; first one this year I've missed. The chief reasons were that I was on taxi duty for a playdate and that I had a bunch of other things to do to prep for a weekend away.

But even if I'd not been doing those things, I doubt I would've made it to parkrun; the hip issue I'd felt on the long run was worse than I thought at the time. I was in a fair bit of pain and hobbling even just walking for the following couple of days. While it largely felt better by the Sunday evening, a combination of belting headaches and work commitments also prevented any running from Monday to Wednesday.

So, to today. With the headaches gone, I set out for a short run whose main aim was simply to get back out there and test the hip.

Feeling bold in my Brooks trainers, I chose to run along the disused railway line near my house despite its stony sections and tree roots. Sure enough, the trainers' cushioning didn't let me down, which was pleasing. I reckon I'm up for doing the Town Moor, South Shields and Prudhoe parkruns in these shoes. I'd particularly enjoy going back to South Shields sometime.

Anyway, that delight was pretty short-lived, as by the time I dropped back into the housing estates (or sometime shortly after), I could feel the hip again. A whole week of not running had passed and yet I was back with the same problem after less than a mile. Gutted. I carried on back home regardless, being careful to take it easy and ended up recording 2.79km, according to onthegomap.com. Oh, and pretty believable Formula 1 circuit layout to boot. 😉

So then, this doesn't bode well for the weekend. The hip's not as bad as last time, but if it's going to start hurting just a quarter of the way into a parkrun, that's just not worth it. I'd be better off resting it and taking to the exercise bike for some lower-impact training. Oh, and I'm finally returning to orienteering this weekend with the offspring, so I'd better not break myself in a way that would prevent me taking her out. We'll see...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midweek: Weetslade Colliery fantasy parkrun

Parkrun #25: Chopwell Wood

5 months in with my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 shoes