Parkrun #16: the return to Jesmond Dene

Given I'd struggled with my chest again midweek and that this weekend's a double parkrun weekend (thanks to the addition of a New Year's Day run on the Sunday), I wasn't sure whether I'd run today or tomorrow — or both. In the end, I did choose to run today, but the temptation to snooze my alarm meant I was late enough out the door that I had to stay very local. Wanting to avoid the mud and puddles I'd expect at Rising Sun, I opted instead for a return to Jesmond Dene. It might have a hill, but it's only one, right?

WRONG! 😂

Turns out that my memory of my first parkrun here is missing a few details. Firstly, all of the ups and downs on the way to the main hill. Secondly, the length of the loops that you run in Paddy Freeman's Park. In fact, on the latter, I was utterly convinced that the course had been changed until I'd just about completed the first lap.

Jesmond Dene, not today (photo pinched from Northern Soul)

Anyway, enough of that; what was my time? 28:18. 😧

That's quicker than my first time here (28:36), but honestly, I thought I'd done loads better than that. Yes, I know I struggled with my chest midweek, but it felt fine today. And yes, I know I've not been running a great deal lately, but my time at Blyth the other week made me feel I could do well here if I just pushed a bit. And this time I even started nearer the middle of the pack to avoid it taking 20+ seconds to cross the start line. Yet I still couldn't even crack 28 minutes. I didn't exactly do justice to my earlier comment of "I have a strong hankering to get back to it and smash my PB there". 😞

I'm struggling to put my finger on where I lost time — compared to the sub-27 minute run I felt I was achieving, that is. I wouldn't be surprised if it were in the stretch before the hill. But I also wouldn't be surprised if I just took it too easy once I was up in the park and running on the flat. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the final kilometre or so, where I really felt I'd picked up the pace and managed to make the most of the downhill sections (much moreso than my first run here). My pace at the end, complete with a strong (for me) final kick, really meant I felt good about my time.

Maybe I just need to accept that I've stopped pushing myself as hard as I used to. That may well be the case, but I'm not sure whether it counts as a weakness or a strength. Perhaps it's a sign that I'm maturing as a runner, making better decisions to manage my pace and my reserves? Or perhaps it's a sign that I'm getting lazy and losing my motivation? Who knows? I'll tell you one thing though: it's made me damned determined to go out and get a good time tomorrow.

(We'll see how well that stands up to another 7am alarm! 😴)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midweek: Weetslade Colliery fantasy parkrun

Parkrun #25: Chopwell Wood

5 months in with my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 shoes