Midweek run: post-COVID

I've really fallen out of the habit. It's just a day shy of 3 weeks since my last run (that being the parkrun in Morpeth), so today was simply a matter of seeing how I felt after getting over COVID. Last Saturday, it didn't seem wise to go straight back to doing 5K and I didn't want tomorrow's parkrun to be the same situation, so this was my last chance to see how I got on with something shorter.

Turns out it wasn't that bad. After 2K, I turned back, figuring 4K was the most I wanted to do and pretty much all I had time for at lunch. It wasn't the fastest I've ever run (by some margin), but it was enough.

The route itself was mostly flat. I started out with an easy jog downhill to the quayside and then along by the Cooperage and past the Copthorne Hotel. Given things felt pretty normal at that point, I veered back up the banks of the Tyne towards the Life Centre; a hill that reminded me of the climb out of Jesmond Dene. Traffic meant I got a brief rest at the top before heading under the railway line and along towards the Utilita Arena (where I once lost my gig virginity seeing Foo Fighters).

From there, I was exploring a bit and discovered a steep road that led back down to the familiarity of the quayside. Heading upriver, it was a pleasant surprise to be acknowledged by others out on a lunchtime run. I figure I normally just look pained and people leave me to it, but even the brief nods and smiles made me wonder whether it was the shared experience I get more of a kick from than the exercise or achievement itself. I've never contemplated it before, but... would I actually enjoy a running club? 🤔 I'll leave that thought for another day.

Anyway, it was about this point that I checked my distance so far, ran a hundred metres or so further and then turned back. I eventually quit at the Guildhall, meaning I had my usual warm-down walk on the hill back up to work.

Roll on parkrun and my 7th consecutive month of attendance. 🙂

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midweek: Weetslade Colliery fantasy parkrun

Parkrun #25: Chopwell Wood

5 months in with my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 shoes