Midweek run: City Stadium

Today felt like my first midweek run in absolutely ages. To be fair, it probably was. I had no real plan other than to do a steady but not too fast 5K and to head in the direction of The Biscuit Tin Studios and City Stadium (which, curiously, has no stadium).

I'll be honest, I just wasn't feeling it today, so this will be brief. Crossing the Swan House roundabout and passing the Holy Jesus Hospital & Soup Kitchen to head down Melbourne Street made a very familiar start as it's the route I used to take to work. It's hardly eye candy, mind. Maybe that didn't help my feeling of... not quite loving it.

Turning up toward the Biscuit Factory, a local art gallery owned by the same person as the Biscuit Tin, progress was hindered by trying to cross the super-busy New Bridge Street. And so began a series of meanders that ultimately led to a feeling of aimlessness. I eventually made it to City Stadium (the green bit on the map) and discovered that the running track there looked muddy, covered in puddles and with its cinder track somewhat overgrown. So much for doing laps. I opted to bypass it and just head back to the office via a further series of meanders whose sole purpose was to add distance.


City Stadium, April 2021 (Copyright: Chris Jackson)

So, a functional run, but not exactly an uplifting one. I'm slightly disappointed that nothing in that direction feels worth exploring further, but at least I now know to stick to other areas. Ouseburn (just to the south of City Stadium) is okay and has plenty of hills to challenge me (should I so choose), so maybe that can be my eastern haunt. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midweek: Weetslade Colliery fantasy parkrun

Parkrun #25: Chopwell Wood

5 months in with my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 shoes