Running On Empty, post #1

Right, where do I start? Introductions, I guess. My name’s Mal and I don’t enjoy running. However, I’m 47 years old now, have a very sedentary lifestyle and know that I need to get more active to stay (become!) fit and healthy. So, as much as I hate exercise for the sake of it, earlier this year I began my third attempt at Couch to 5K, encouraged by family and a couple of workmates who were also doing it.

And that’s where it began. On Friday 20th May 2022, I completed the Couch to 5K. But by then, I had other goals too. I wanted to do a parkrun (also 5K long). I’d signed up for the Race For Life (another 5K). And I’d signed up for an 8K urban orienteering event in my home town of Newcastle upon Tyne. At the time of writing this, those things are now a few months behind me, all ticked off. I set further goals of getting in the top 50% of men at a parkrun (tick!), running a sub-25 minute 5K (tick!) and running a 10K (errr…).

But why the blog? A few reasons, really:

  1. I’m so amazed by the things I’ve achieved that I’m turning into a running bore; this should give me an alternative outlet
  2. I used to maintain a blog for my trackday and other motorsports-related shenanigans and I still enjoy looking back over that, so why not running too?
  3. I’ve been inspired by Rosie’s North East Parkrun Challenge blog, which was very relatable for me, as I‘ve likewise made a point (so far) of trying out as many local parkruns as possible

So, here it is. Today, parkruns remain my main priority. Originally, I’d intended to use running to improve my orienteering, but the events that I can actually attend for that are few and far between, so I’ve refocused. As it stands, I’ve done 9 parkruns at 8 different locations and tomorrow should see me hit double figures. At some point, I should write up each of the events I’ve already done (although I don‘t have the lovely photos that Rosie’s blog has). But for now, it’s time for some kip to make sure I’m not a complete zombie tomorrow. Catch you later.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midweek: Weetslade Colliery fantasy parkrun

Parkrun #25: Chopwell Wood

5 months in with my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 shoes