Round-up: where in the world have I been?!

The last post on here was of a run on the 3rd June. Today, it's the 27th June. What happened?!

Short answer is "not a lot". There were no more runs in that week; the weekend of the 8th June was spent visiting the in-laws again. The following Monday, the 10th, actually saw a run, albeit one of only 4.5km. The splits were pleasing though, with an average pace of 5:08//km after a much-slower first kilometre. Chest felt a bit dodgy after that, mind. Later that week, I squeezed in another run, albeit a very short one at just 3km. That was a lot slower too, but I console myself with the thought that any training is better than none. 🤷‍♂️

Since then, there's been only one other run and — shock horror! — it was actually a parkrun while on holiday. So yeah, both Penrhyn and Heslington may have failed to happen last year, but this Father's Day weekend, I made it to Fountains Abbey parkrun. I'll leave the write-up of that for another post.

That, however, was nearly 2 weeks ago now. The time in-between has been mostly occupied with a proper holiday; my first time abroad since The Before Times, as the family travelled to Lake Garda for a holiday of ups and downs.

  • The heat in the first few days was mental... but it came with a haze that meant you couldn't see the amazing scenery you were surrounded by.
  • Then most of the haze finally cleared... when thunderstorms took over.
  • We did get one day where we got to the top of a mountain for some amazing views... but spent most of our limited time up there looking for each other rather than looking at the views.
  • The place we stayed was half board rather than self-catering for once... but the evening meals were terrible and had only one veggie "option" each night.
  • Many of the towns around Lake Garda were remarkably pretty... but absolutely overrun with tourists (like ourselves, I guess).
Overall, not the best holiday ever. I don't think we'll be going back. 😞

Looking north up Lake Garda from Castello Scaligero in Malcesine

Exercise-wise, I didn't take any kit suitable for a run. No proper trainers, no shorts, nothing really. But I did get a sweat on a couple of times. On the first day, I jogged most of the 2.7km downhill from the hotel into town carrying a rucksack containing 3kg of water and rapidly regretted it. The temperature was about 29°C but with a feels-like temperature of 36°C given how humid it was. I probably sweated more than I'd ever done after a run.

After that, the only other little bit of running I did was a very stop-start effort in the opposite direction on the final day, at a cooler 23°C. I moderated that massively given how ruined I was from the downhill effort.

Still, I'll be back to it this coming weekend... if I can just shake off this sinus headache I've got. 😩

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parkrun #24: Windy Nook

Midweek: Hawksworth, LS5

The 2023 Great North 10K