"So... which is your favourite?"

Inevitably, when you tell someone you've done over 20 different parkrun locations, you get the question of which is your favourite. And it's something I've always struggled to answer, as I try to recall all of my experiences. It's often easier to say which I wouldn't hurry back to, but in this post, I'll pick out a few I have particularly enjoyed. Probably in no particular order, mind.

Carlisle Park (Morpeth)
Having lived not far from Morpeth for 10 years, I already liked the place, but my first two runs in Carlisle Park were just lovely, which gorgeous sunshine along the riverside that really lifted my spirits. The 3 climbs on the course also added a bit of variety and challenge to go with the flatter sections. Add to that the easy, free parking near the start and the proximity to the town centre and its cafés and Morpeth is often a great choice; it's my most common answer to the question of which is my favourite. But if I think a little longer... there are others in the running too.

South Shields
I've only done South Shields once, but it was a lovely run. Winding along the clifftop, in and out of the little coves as you head south was a delight (it was all new to me) and the run back along the road allowed me to live out the fantasy of completing the Great North Run without actually having to put in anything like the full 13 miles. The only reason I've not gone back yet is the length of time it takes to drive there and back.

Chopwell Wood
I love getting out into the woods, wherever they may be, but my one run here was a little extra special as it marked my one milestone to date: it was my 25th run. I'd watched the course on YouTube before attending, but completely got the wrong impression of the gradients and the first of the two big hills nearly killed me — from shock, if nothing else! Despite this, I got a time I'm still very proud of: 27:20ish. I'm planning to head back there for my 50th run.

Newbiggin-by-the-Sea (in winter)
Maybe I'm a little blasé about the seaside, having grown up on the North East coast, but the Newbiggin course is nothing to really write home about... except in winter, when you get to watch the sun rise over the sea as you run. Somehow, it's just not the same at Whitley Bay or Blyth, but it really works in Newbiggin. Add the fact that the volunteers are my favourites of any event (great humour) and that they're almost never cancelled due to ice, and this is a great place to go in December and January.

Sedgefield
Another I've attended only once, and not even one where I got a good time, but the variety and views around the two laps of Hardwick Park are hard to beat. The paths at the start were a bit narrow and congested, but once spread out a bit, you were free to enjoy the course, running under trees, on tracks across pasture, and on gravel and tarmac around the lakes and ponds. Honestly, it was a great route and I'd happily go more often if it weren't such a long drive.

Maybe by this time next year I'll have attended other venues that deserve an honourable mention. But let's leave it there for now. If you're in the Newcastle area, I can heartily recommend any of the above. Enjoy your run. 🙂

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midweek: Weetslade Colliery fantasy parkrun

Parkrun #25: Chopwell Wood

5 months in with my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 shoes